These are delicious!!!!!!! (if I do say so myself :-)).
My Kids aren’t very big fans of courgette, now don’t get me wrong they are not particularly fussy eaters, but this is one veggie they really don’t enjoy. But They love these muffins. The combination of the lime and courgette works really well and the cream-cheese icing with the candied lime zest just tops it off.
I found this recipe earlier in the year on a great web site I discovered http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk. I made only two minor changes to the recipe using Bran oil instead of vegetable oil because I like the flavour better, and adding the candied lime zest for taste and decoration.
- 250g Courgettes
- 2 large eggs
- 125ml vegetable oil ( I used bran oil)
- 150g golden caster sugar ( I have also used white caster sugar and it works just as well)
- 225g self raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Juice and zest of one lime
CREAM CHEESE ICING:
- 200g cream cheese ( I used 250g because thats the size the blocks come in)
- 100g icing sugar
- juice and zest of one lime
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Grate the courgettes and leave to drain in a sieve
- In a large mixing bowl , add eggs, oil, sugar and beat well until light and slightly fluffy.
- Sieve flour, bicarbonate soda and baking powder and beat together
- Fold in drained courgette and the lime juice and zest
- divide mixture between 12 muffin cases
- Cook in oven for 20-25 minutes or until muffins are nicely brown and firm to touch allow to cool completely on a wire rack
- To make icing combine all ingredients into a bowl and mix spread or pipe onto cooled muffins and decorate with candied lime or fresh lime zest if desired.