BEETROOT AND CHOCOLATE MUFFINS with coffee cream cheese icing:
I have just picked some gorgeous baby beetroots from my garden, and I was back on the web site http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk when I came across the Beetroot and Chocolate Muffin recipe. I’ve made chocolate and beetroot cakes before and I love the combination of the beetroot and chocolate together. You can taste the beetroot in the cake but its subtle, and I love the depth of colour that it adds.
These muffins are rich and decadent and one will do,unless you are a chocaholic 🙂 And of course once again a big hit with the kids and Hubby. I love the coffee flavoured icing, it was beautiful and it balanced really well with the richness of the muffins. An after thought I had was how nice it would be to add a little chocolate coated coffee bean to the top (that’s for next time), I have plenty more beetroot to use. I didn’t follow the recipe exactly I added 1/2 teaspoon of instant coffee to the muffin mixture, and I made my own coffee cream cheese icing.
- 175g cooked beetroot
- 3 large eggs
- 200g self raising flour
- 200ml vegetable oil ( I used bran oil)
- 200g caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee
- 100g instant drinking chocolate, or cocoa powder ( I used premium dutch cocoa)
- 1 x 200g dark chocolate bar, grated ( I used premium dark cooking chocolate)
- 250g cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees
- Place beetroot into food processor and whiz to a pulp
- Place beetroot pulp ,eggs, sugar and cocoa/drinking chocolate into a large bowl mix well , and then beat in oil slowly until well combined.
- Fold in grated chocolate
- spoon mixture into 12 hole muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool completely
- For icing combine all ingredients and beat together, spread or pipe onto cooled muffins.