I had quite a few left over egg whites after making some egg-custard. So I decided to make some macarons, a perfect use for egg whites, and a perfect excuse to make some delicate french treats (not that I really need an excuse :-)).
These chocolate orange macarons are delicious, and with my first bite I instantly thought of Jaffa’s, those yummy choc-orange balls covered in a red candy, yum yum yum!.
I used Adriano Zumbos macaron recipe which is here in my “The Macaron Challenge” post, I added some powdered orange food colouring to the sugar syrup mixture and sprinkled some dutch cocoa onto the piped out macarons before putting them in the oven. I have tried and tested this recipe many times now and it has never failed me: he is the Zumbaron King ;-).
CHOCOLATE ORANGE GANACHE:
- 150g cream
- finely grated zest of 2 oranges
- 200g dark chocolate ( Zumbo used milk chocolate but I just love dark chocolate)
- 60g unsalted butter, chopped and softened
- place cream and orange zest in a small saucepan over medium heat, bring to the boil
- put chocolate in a bowl
- pour over hot cream, stir until chocolate has melted and is smooth
- set aside until temperature is 50ºC, then using a stick blender blitz in butter until smooth
- allow ganache to cool and become firm enough to pipe
- fill a piping bag with a 7mm nozzle and pipe onto flat side of macaron then top with another shell
- put assembled macarons in the fridge to set
- bring to room temperature to serve
- Macarons and Chocolate. (pinkbutterfliesblogspot.wordpress.com)
- Macarons: How Not to Master the Art of French Cooking (the1234girls.wordpress.com)
- Vanilla Macarons (questioningmycreativity.wordpress.com)
- Macaron vs Macaroon (macaronsandbubbly.wordpress.com)
- Adriano Zumbo – Choc Raspberry Macarons (marriedinmarrickville.wordpress.com)
- Salted Caramel Macarons (diaryofaperthgirl.com)
- More Macarons, Pandan & Coconut (inprosciuttoofperfection.wordpress.com)