This week it was my hubbies turn to take in morning tea for work. So of course he asked me if I would mind baking for him, like I need an excuse to bake :-).
So I spent the most part of Tuesday in the kitchen baking away. I made white chocolate and macadamia nut brownies which I blogged about yesterday, Mango and white chocolate muffins and last but not least chocolate slice.
I haven’t made this particular chocolate slice recipe in years, but I had some apricot jam in the cupboard that I made last summer and I remembered that this particular chocolate slice recipe uses apricot jam, so out came my old recipe book.
I love being able to make and use my own ingredients, you just can’t get better then freshly picked in season apricots, then turning the excess you can’t eat into jam. Then in winter still continuing to enjoy your summer produce. There is just such a great feeling of satisfaction knowing you grew, harvested and produced your own ingredients/products.
Hubby came home from work that evening with two large empty Tupperware containers, all the goodies were gone and everyone enjoyed. It’s so nice cooking for people it gives me so much pleasure to know that I can make people happy with my food.
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup self raising flour
- 2 Tsp cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 125g melted butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1Tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 45g unsalted butter
- 90g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 Tsp cream
- Preheat oven to 180º, grease and line a shallow slice tin
- sift flours and cocoa in medium bowl
- add sugar and coconut
- make a well in centre add butter, essence and egg, mix to combine
- spoon into prepared tin and smooth surface
- bake 20-25 minutes of until set, leave to cool in tin
To make topping
- place lemon juice and jam in a small pan and stir over low heat, when bubbling pour over slice
- spread evenly with a flat bladed knife and allow to set for 20 minutes
- melt butter, chocolate and cream over low heat in a small pan stir until smooth
- spread over slice and leave to set
- cut slice into small squares or rectangles and decorate if desired
recipe adapted from Crazy for Chocolate ( family circle cookbook)