So I made some lemony deliciousness the other day, that deliciousness being lemon curd. I made the lemon curd to fill some sweet little cupcakes, (recipe for lemon curd cupcakes coming soon).
So having made lemon curd I had quite a few left over egg whites, and the first thing that came to mind was Pavlova. I love Pavlova it’s one of my favourite desserts, sweet but at the same time light. Its topped with yummy fresh fruit so it almost makes it healthy WELL ALMOST :-).
I also had left over lemon curd, so a lemon curd and strawberry pavlova it was to be, plus I added some mascarpone cream, whats a pavlova without cream right!!!!!!
LEMON CURD RECIPE: ( recipe from POPSUGAR food)
- 2 whole eggs plus 8 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 6 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, at room temperature
- Add the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice to a heavy-bottomed saucepan, whisk together to combine.
- Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until it has jelled up slightly and coats the back of a spoon.
- Take the pot off of the heat and add the butter cubes one at a time, whisking until they have melted completely.
- Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into whatever container you plan to store it in, and cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface of the curd so that it doesn’t form a skin. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Makes about 2 cups.
PAVLOVA RECIPE: (Recipe from Donna Hay)
- 150ml eggwhite (approximately 4 eggs)
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch), sifted
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F). Place the eggwhite in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, whisking well, until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
- Add the cornflour and vinegar and whisk until just combined.
- Shape the mixture into an 18cm round on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Reduce oven to 120°C (250°F) and bake for 1 hour 20 minutes. Turn the oven off and allow the pavlova to cool completely in the oven.
MASCARPONE CREAM RECIPE:
- 300ml pure cream
- 250ml mascarpone cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- combine all ingredients into a bowl , using whisk attachment whisk cream until soft peaks form.
To put Pavlova together spread mascarpone cream on top, then spread on a layer of lemon curd, then dress with chopped strawberries.