A moist sweet cake bursting with citrus flavour and the undertones of the exotic cardamon spice.
There is no arguing the natural marriage of these two flavours, a match made in heaven…..
Dress this cake with sweet fresh strawberries covered in the orange and cardamon syrup.
Cut a generous slice and serve with vanilla cream. Mmmmmmm dessert time.
This recipe is adapted from the cookbook; Delicious, Simply the best by Valli Little
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 220g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 50g plain flour, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- finely grated zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 250g fine semolina
- 250g almond meal, pushed through a course sieve
- 120g this Greek-style yoghurt
- 250g punnet strawberries, halved or quartered
- finely grated zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 6 cardamon pods bruised
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 275g caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 170ºC and Grease a 23cm round springform pan, line the base with baking paper and lightly dust sides with flour, shaking off any excess
- Beat butter and sugar until thick and pale, add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition
- Fold in the flour and baking powder, followed by the orange zest, almond meal and semolina
- Add orange juice and yoghurt and stir until combined
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour or until skewer comes out clean when inserted into centre
- cool n pan for 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, for syrup, place all ingredients in a saucepan with 375ml water
- Stir over low heat to dissolve the sugar, then simmer for 15-20 minutes until slightly thickened
- Prick surface of the warm cake all over with a skewer, slowly drizzle over half the syrup, then allow to cool
- Toss strawberries in remaining syrup, then drizzle over cake
MOIST, TASTY, YELLOW, TANGY, ZESTY, BITTER-SWEET, FRUITY, YUMMY, DELICIOUS.
There you have it, these descriptive nine words sum up these SCRUMPTIOUS (now make that 10 words :-)) Lemon Curd Cupcakes.
I made lemon curd using this recipe (here) from POPSUGAR Food. To make these cupcakes you only need to make a half batch of this lemon curd recipe, or you could make the whole batch like I did and make this Lemon Curd and Strawberry Pavlova , with the left over lemon curd, trust me its worth it :-).
RECIPE CREAM CHEESE LEMON CUPCAKES: (Recipe converted and adapted from POPSUGAR)
- 225g Plain flour, sifted
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 200g unsalted butter
- 285g caster sugar
- 125g cream cheese, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup Lemon curd
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC and line two cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together the flour, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar, until fluffy and lightened in color. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the cream cheese and beat until completely incorporated.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until no streaks of yolk remain. Add the lemon juice and vanilla, and mix until incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients in three additions, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula between additions. Mix together until just combined.
- Divide the batter among the cupcake molds, filling each mold about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 24-28 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes, then move to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before filling with lemon curd.
- Using a watermelon baller scoop out a round in the centre of each cupcake.
- Sift powdered sugar over the tops of the cupcakes using a fine mesh strainer.
- Pipe the lemon curd into the cupcakes until it’s flush with the tops of the cupcakes.
So I made some lemony deliciousness the other day, that deliciousness being lemon curd. I made the lemon curd to fill some sweet little cupcakes, (recipe for lemon curd cupcakes coming soon).
So having made lemon curd I had quite a few left over egg whites, and the first thing that came to mind was Pavlova. I love Pavlova it’s one of my favourite desserts, sweet but at the same time light. Its topped with yummy fresh fruit so it almost makes it healthy WELL ALMOST :-).
I also had left over lemon curd, so a lemon curd and strawberry pavlova it was to be, plus I added some mascarpone cream, whats a pavlova without cream right!!!!!!
LEMON CURD RECIPE: ( recipe from POPSUGAR food)
- 2 whole eggs plus 8 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 6 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, at room temperature
- Add the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice to a heavy-bottomed saucepan, whisk together to combine.
- Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until it has jelled up slightly and coats the back of a spoon.
- Take the pot off of the heat and add the butter cubes one at a time, whisking until they have melted completely.
- Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into whatever container you plan to store it in, and cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface of the curd so that it doesn’t form a skin. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Makes about 2 cups.
PAVLOVA RECIPE: (Recipe from Donna Hay)
- 150ml eggwhite (approximately 4 eggs)
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch), sifted
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F). Place the eggwhite in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, whisking well, until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
- Add the cornflour and vinegar and whisk until just combined.
- Shape the mixture into an 18cm round on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Reduce oven to 120°C (250°F) and bake for 1 hour 20 minutes. Turn the oven off and allow the pavlova to cool completely in the oven.
MASCARPONE CREAM RECIPE:
- 300ml pure cream
- 250ml mascarpone cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- combine all ingredients into a bowl , using whisk attachment whisk cream until soft peaks form.
To put Pavlova together spread mascarpone cream on top, then spread on a layer of lemon curd, then dress with chopped strawberries.