So it’s been a few weeks since my last blog post…… It really hasn’t been my intention but going into full time study and being a mum, a wife etc etc etc has kept me very busy. But alas all the stars have aligned and I have had a free weekend.
well almost all the stars anyway………. I am oven-less, I know right OMG NO OVEN, to me thats like having no arms 😦 . MY oven door has broken and hubby is waiting on the parts to arrive…….. waiting waiting waiting.
So this weekend I decided to improvise and I fired up the Weber to bake some bread. So for my first time baking bread in the Weber I must say I am very pleased.
I definitely cannot claim this recipe as my own, in fact I rarely can, I am the recipe “High-jacker”……….Now I do like to take a recipe and tweak it to make it my own… But this recipe needed no tweaking it is perfect just as it is, and why mess with perfect?
These delicious orange shortbreads are straight out of the latest issue of Gourmet Traveller Magazine, in fact they are on the front cover, and they enticed me as soon as I picked up the magazine. Sweet crumbly shortbread gently flavoured with orange and for a little texture some roasted pistachios YUM YUM YUM oh and lets not forget a little splash of Grand Marnier just to make these shortbread really special.
- 40g pistachios
- 220g butter, softened
- 375g pure icing sugar, sieved
- 60ml (1/4 cup) orange juice appox 2 oranges
- 30ml Grand Marnier
- 1 egg yolk
- 330g plain flour
- 40g candied orange, diced
- preheat oven to 180ºC
- spread pistachios onto a baking tray and roast until just golden, set aside to cool, then coarsely chop
- beat butter, 75g icing sugar and half the zest in an electric mixer until pale and fluffy
- combine orange juice and Grand Marnier set aside
- add egg yolk to butter mixture and beat until combined, then mix in half the orange juice mixture
- add flour, candied orange, pistachios and a pinch of salt, beat until mixture just comes together, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and form into a flat disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate to rest (1 hour)
- roll out shortbread on a lightly floured surface to 1cm thick and cut out 6.5cm- diameter rounds
- place onto lined baking trays and bake until pale golden on the edges 15-20 minutes (swapping trays halfway through cooking)
- cool on trays for 5 minutes then sprinkle with remaining orange juice mixture
- combine remaining icing sugar and orange zest, then shake through a course sieve over shortbread, dust heavily